Zonta Gawler Inc is a proud supporter of Birthing Kit Foundation (Australia) and KIT International. We arrange a number of assembly days each year and invite community members to join us in making up the kits.
Both the Birthing Kit Foundation of Australia and KIT International are voluntary, not for profit NGOs that addresses gender inequality and injustice by creating opportunities in health, education and livelihoods for women and girls as well as providing the birthing kits. KIT stands for Knowledge, Innovation and Transformation.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that 295,000 women die annually from causes related to pregnancy and childbirth. 2.5 million babies die within their first month of life.
KIT International is supplying Clean Birth Kits that provide for clean birthing conditions. 60 million women give birth each year with the assistance of a Traditional Birth Attendant or with no assistance at all. These women need a birthing kit.
A Clean Birth Kit contains the following 6 disposable components:
1. Soap to wash the birth attendant’s hands and the mother’s perineum
2. Plastic Sheet to prevent the mother and newborn coming into contact with an unhygienic surface
3. Gloves to cover the birth attendant’s hands and provide protection from infections such as HIV
4. Gauze to wipe the newborn baby’s eyes, and to clean the mother’s perineum prior to birth
5. Cord Ties to cleanly tie the umbilical cord
6. Sterile Blade to cut the umbilical cord and reduce risk of newborn tetanus and sepsis.
If you would like to donate to this project, or be a volunteer at an assembly day, please contact us
Source: KIT International